SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

    SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Share
    avatar
    743mph
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 26
    Join date : 2011-04-21
    Age : 19

    SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by 743mph on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:20 pm

    This is my latest creation: SRB2Colors. I know that people would beat me to death if I called it a mod, and since the characters are the main feature, I decided to put it in the Characters subsection.

    The main feature of this pack (and indeed pretty much the only one) is the ability to use Sonic's various Color forms (Rocket, Frenzy, etc.) in SRB2. These can be accessed as characters in the ordinary character select menu. And yes, they are all recolors to a certain extent, but remember, they are all forms of Sonic, so it's natural that they look a bit like him. (At least I changed the running frames, and jumping frames for some of them, as well as the S_SKIN variables for all.)

    Burst

    This power allows Sonic to cause massive explosions that destroy enemies using a mechanism like the Armageddon Shield's. However, Sonic is slower in this form and cannot spindash.

    Rocket

    In this form, Sonic can jump by shooting himself in the air like a rocket and then slowly glide back down. He can also use his abilities to move faster than usual, making him the second fastest character in the game. However, like the Burst, he can't spindash.

    Drill

    As th Drill, Sonic can burrow through the ground, swim through the water like a torpedo, and drill through bustable blocks. He's quite a bit slower than before, like the Burst, and he has no extraordinary abilities when not on bustable blocks or underwater. He's great for DSZ, though.

    Hover

    When he uses the Hover, Sonic can float in the air for unlimited time, though he can't ascend or descend. However, he can't spindash or thok like this.

    Laser

    The Laser can shoot forward like--well, like a laser when you press the Z button in mid-air, and he's the fastest character in the game, but he can't spindash, like the others, but he can spin.

    Spikes

    As the Spikes, Sonic can climb walls easily, giving him access to new areas and allowing him to bypass obstacles easily. Also, he's the only character who can spindash. However, he's slowed down significantly, and he can't thok.

    Frenzy

    This guy is great for when you're on the attack. he can use the Homing Attack, allowing him to target and destroy his enemies automatically. He can also attract rings. However, he's the slowest character in the game, on about the same level as Burst.

    All Color powers are playable in all modes, and their Colors can be changed in multiplayer. Even better, their Colors don't have to be in sync with their powers in multiplayer, which mean you can have the Red Laser, Orange Hover, etc. without glitches. There are two downloadable versions: one with skies that make it look like the levels are in Eggman's amusement park from Colors, and one that doesn't have changed skies. The one with the changed skies is on the bottom, and the one without is on the top.

    srb2colors.zip
    srb2colorsmod.zip

    Also, SRB2Colors can connect to ERB2, allowing you to play as the Color Powers in ERB2's modified levels. Hope you enjoy this character pack, and please give me feedback. Thank you.

    (There is also a "god mode" availible, where you can turn invincible and fly, etc. but it was designed only for testing. Use it and it gives you the appearance of a noob who can't play the game without a stupidly overpowered character.)
    avatar
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Posts Posts : 823
    Join date : 2009-07-03
    Age : 26
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:15 pm

    Clearly you have learned absolutely nothing from your previous debacle. Doing a bunch of lazy, sweeping changes to the game with zero effort is NOT a project, and you can't go around kidding yourself that people will want to play things like this. Please, just start out your SRB2 design career with an actual, original level, not a half-assed coat of paint passing for a mod.


    _________________
    Fawfulfan wrote: Only total, complete, utter losers quote themselves in their sigs...hypocrites stink, too.
    Check out my game design projects at Chapman Games!!!
    avatar
    743mph
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 26
    Join date : 2011-04-21
    Age : 19

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by 743mph on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:05 pm

    Oh, I did learn something. I learned that you really hate things like ERB2, with mostly level changes instead of character changes, so I tried creating character changes instead. Apparently, that ticks you off almost as much. It really wouldn't surprise me if you just glanced at the WAD instead of actually playing it, because what you're telling me implies that you played one level with one character for one second, instead of playing it thoroughly to see whether you find the gameplay fun or not. Really, how much do the graphics matter as long as the WAD is enjoyable to play?
    avatar
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Posts Posts : 823
    Join date : 2009-07-03
    Age : 26
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Fawfulfan on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:53 pm

    743mph wrote:Oh, I did learn something. I learned that you really hate things like ERB2, with mostly level changes instead of character changes, so I tried creating character changes instead. Apparently, that ticks you off almost as much. It really wouldn't surprise me if you just glanced at the WAD instead of actually playing it, because what you're telling me implies that you played one level with one character for one second, instead of playing it thoroughly to see whether you find the gameplay fun or not. Really, how much do the graphics matter as long as the WAD is enjoyable to play?
    But the thing is, the WAD won't be enjoyable to play. It can't possibly be. With a level WAD, there's some doubt, because the first few levels might just be the worst of the bunch, but a character WAD will play the same throughout. You will know in the first few seconds if a character is crap.

    Also, it's not that people hate "level changes" or "character changes"--it's that you haven't done anything meaningful in any of your projects. Swapping textures, tinkering with the character configurations and main headers--these aren't anywhere NEAR enough to be a project in and of themselves. You're approaching WAD design from completely the wrong angle--nothing decent can be made out of nonsensically scrambling around all the resources that other people have already made.

    Seriously, instead of all these uninteresting, ugly, zero-effort meta-projects, why don't you just try making one simple level? Download SRB2 Doom Builder, open it up, and create something original. I can promise you now that there is more potential for distinctive, fun gameplay in a single original level than in the sum total of everything you've done so far.


    _________________
    Fawfulfan wrote: Only total, complete, utter losers quote themselves in their sigs...hypocrites stink, too.
    Check out my game design projects at Chapman Games!!!
    avatar
    743mph
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 26
    Join date : 2011-04-21
    Age : 19

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by 743mph on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:18 pm

    I already have Doom Builder, and I used it to make the boss fights in ERB2. However, I am rather doubtful about how much good can come of making a level in there, since the process of creation is long, boring, and people will most likely call it crappy when I'm done with it anyway, like everything else I've made. However, I might as well attempt one, since that's what everyone seems to like.
    avatar
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Posts Posts : 823
    Join date : 2009-07-03
    Age : 26
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Fawfulfan on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:52 am

    743mph wrote:I already have Doom Builder, and I used it to make the boss fights in ERB2. However, I am rather doubtful about how much good can come of making a level in there, since the process of creation is long, boring, and people will most likely call it crappy when I'm done with it anyway, like everything else I've made. However, I might as well attempt one, since that's what everyone seems to like.
    The only reason your work has been crappy is because you haven't put any effort or thought into it. If you seriously invested time in a level, it could only be an improvement. It might not be a very good level, but at least then people can give you actual constructive feedback on how to improve your technique. My first half dozen levels were total crap, but I learned something each time, and eventually my levels started not sucking.

    And level design isn't boring, at least to me. I have a lot of fun doing it. It seems to me that what you do already is more boring, as it's just changing headers and importing sprites.


    _________________
    Fawfulfan wrote: Only total, complete, utter losers quote themselves in their sigs...hypocrites stink, too.
    Check out my game design projects at Chapman Games!!!

    Hunter_Orion
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 10
    Join date : 2011-05-24
    Age : 27
    Location : Somewhere in the Midwest.

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Hunter_Orion on Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 am

    Fawfulfan knows what he's talking about. I can even tell. You put no effort into this. You essentially ripped sprites, gave them random ability stats , called that a character, then called all of them combined a WAD. That's not effort. Tikal was effort. When I made her, I not only got someone to assist me with the general concept, but I also spent many hours of the night drawing her to perfection. And you know what? I never even finished her. I still to this day have yet to make her decent jumping frames (although now that I'm off for the summer, I may give it an attempt). Yes, at times it's boring. But what would you rather have: a poorly ripped WAD that just tells people "I clearly didn't care about this, so neither should you" (what you have now), or something that makes you say "yeah, this is my work. Beautiful, ain't it?"

    Now, having said that, this WAD is not beyond all hope. If you want to salvage it though, the way forward requires much tedious work, a lot of learning new things, and magic SOC'ing skills. Without further ado, I present the suggestions that would drastically improve this WAD.

    First off, instead of just making the player play through the game as one "powerup", find a way to make them actual powerups, that way it almost makes the gameplay similar to the actual game. At the very least, if you can't do that, find a way to make them powerups in match.

    Secondly, and this one actually compliments the first point, don't let sonic have all the fun. Find a way to let the others turn pretty colors and go whee too. That way a player isn't stuck with pain-in-the-ass-sometimes-hard-to-control sonic.

    Third, and this is my most crucial point, because this suggests what should be done with each Power-up.

    Burst
    Too easy to spam that shield spin. it's no fun when you can just blow everything up. Just make him leave a fire trail behind when he's moving or something.

    Rocket
    Hey, this one actually needs to go higher for it to be a rocket powerup. At the very least ask Hinote how to SOC her fanchar's ability. Also, create some actual rocket sprites. That way it adds to the powerup.

    Drill
    My idea for this one is actually pretty interesting. I've been playing Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch a lot lately, and in classes mode, I've noticed drillman has an ability to dive underground for a limited period of time. During this, he can scale any wall, no matter how high, he can even skip over some deadly surfaces, such as pits or death spikes(Although, in the world of SRB2, the latter isn't significant). Try to incorporate this into the powerup, if you really need me to, I could try to ask Yellow Devil how to do it. Or, better yet, you could ask him yourself.

    Hover
    You know that colors one that's completely white and can fly? Get rid of him and give his ability to this powerup. But don't make it without consequence. Just make the acension very slow or even make the powerup not last long.

    Laser
    You can't be serious with this one: It's just the thok. If you want to make this powerup special, allow the person to spindash mid-air. Spinning usually allows you to bounce off walls anyway, why not give it a shot? Never know who will like it.

    Spikes
    This one would be a good powerup, if you added in custom sprites and the player didn't have to glide into walls (that just kills it man: How does a spike ball glide?) Essentially, that sums it up: make the powerup turn you into an actuall spike ball, and make a SOC that just allows you to essentially walk up walls.

    Frenzy
    I have no good suggestions for this guy, but just don't use the attration shield spin, or a homing attack. You want the powerup to be playable, not game breaking.

    Yes, this is difficult. Yes, this will take a lot of work. But just think how much better the WAD could be , and how good you'll feel putting all that work into a WAD everyone will want to play. If you can turn this around, I will certainly download it and play it.
    avatar
    743mph
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 26
    Join date : 2011-04-21
    Age : 19

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by 743mph on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:50 pm

    I appreciate your suggestions, Hunter_Orion, and I will try to update SRB2Colors accordingly.

    Hunter_Orion
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 10
    Join date : 2011-05-24
    Age : 27
    Location : Somewhere in the Midwest.

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Hunter_Orion on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 pm

    Glad to hear it. Would you like me to ask Yellow Devil how to execute Drillman's ability?
    avatar
    743mph
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 26
    Join date : 2011-04-21
    Age : 19

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by 743mph on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:14 pm

    I would appreciate that very much, thank you.

    Hunter_Orion
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 10
    Join date : 2011-05-24
    Age : 27
    Location : Somewhere in the Midwest.

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Hunter_Orion on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 am

    I have contacted CutmanMike (Yeah, that surprised me too. The creator of MM8BDM was the one who coded Drillman). I asked him about it, but he could not offer much.

    CutmanMike wrote:SRB2 uses a different engine than MM8BDM. MM8BDM uses Skulltag, while SRB2 uses Doom Legacy. It could be done, but I don't know how you would do it.

    He essentially said that it could be done, but anything that he did couldn't help because of the difference in engines. So solving the drilling problem would be a process of trial and error.
    avatar
    DTH123
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 21
    Join date : 2011-11-18

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by DTH123 on Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:47 am

    2 things fawful the charaters are so...so so dont be a wad pooper and hunter really soniccolorsmod IT OLINY CHANGES THE SKY -_- littorly
    avatar
    rodnat23
    New User
    New User

    Posts Posts : 2
    Join date : 2014-09-24
    Age : 37

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by rodnat23 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:47 am

    the link dead Crying or Very sad

    Sponsored content

    Re: SRB2Colors (Character Pack)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 am