SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

Surprise Challenge Voting: Mario Levels

Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Surprise Challenge Voting: Mario Levels

Post by Fawfulfan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 am

Well, I guess the fourth time's the charm here. We finally have enough submissions to the Surprise Challenge to start the voting. You can still submit entries until tomorrow morning, but voting shall begin immediately.

The submissions are as follows:

Crazy Mario, by a cat - http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/959scr_crazymario.wad
    Mario Koopa Blast Act 4, by mamaluigi - http://www.4shared.com/file/246069613/6b5e1535/MKBAct4.html

We'll keep voting until next Wednesday, at which point the winner will be declared, and the next Surprise Challenge will begin.

Last edited by fawfulfan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total

a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Re: Surprise Challenge Voting: Mario Levels

Post by a cat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:32 am

MKB 4: 5/10 I think this level is average. It has several grapich problems. However the level is a bit short. I did have fun and hope to see a bigger mario level from you someday.

CM: MINE/10
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Posts Posts : 108

Post by mamaluigi on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 am

a cat wrote:MKB 4: 5/10 I think this level is average. It has several grapich problems. However the level is a bit short. I did have fun and hope to see a bigger mario level from you someday.

CM: MINE/10
    L0l, I expected my levels' rating to be worse! Also, You're REALLY right in the fact there are lots of bugs, and the level is very short. Yes, I'll make Mario maps other than Coop, but bigger ones. Also, I can't rate your map sadly,but I see that you put a lot of work in it. Not mentioning that your level's size is 5x bigger than mine!
    Very Happy
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 am

Here are my votes on the levels:

Crazy Mario: 2/10
    Whoa, this level had some surprises. But it had way more flaws. The death pits don't work, the ? blocks don't work properly, and the level doesn't even have Mario mode enabled. Plus, it's impossible to get the items on top of the blocks if you're Sonic. And the writing on the floor was really hard to read, because the halls they were in are too cramped. The layout was also incredibly confusing. But at least it used a lot of Mario stuff.

Mario Koopa Blast Act 4: 1/10
    The shortness I can forgive. What I can't forgive is that the rings aren't deafed, That Thing placement is bad, and that it's impossible to grab the fire flower if you're playing as Sonic.

Don't feel too bad about the low ratings, guys...even though my expectations aren't that high, I'm still using the OLDC level-grading standard, and I think we all should.

Last edited by fawfulfan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:10 am

fawfulfan wrote:Here are my votes on the levels:

Crazy Mario: 0/10
    Don't you know how to make a MAINCFG lump? It's not that difficult. Even if you didn't, however, I never dreamed you would stick a 3D level in a map slot which, by default, is in 2D mode. As a result, your level is completely unplayable. I knew that quality wasn't going to be this Surprise Challenge's stronger suit, but I didn't expect this.

Mario Koopa Blast Act 4: 1/10
    The shortness I can forgive. What I can't forgive is that the rings aren't deafed, That Thing placement is bad, and that it's impossible to grab the fire flower if you're playing as Sonic. But it's still the better of the two levels, so I'm gonna cast my vote for it.

Don't feel too bad about the low ratings, guys...even though my expectations aren't that high, I'm still using the OLDC level-grading standard, and I think we all should.
    ...Constructive Criticism?
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:20 am

Constructive criticism isn't about minimizing how bad something is, mamaluigi. It's about telling it like it is, but then telling you how you can make it better.

Would you prefer it if I devoted more space to how it could be better? All right then. Give all of your coins the Deaf flag, make your enemy placement a bit better and more varied, make the tunnel section wider, make it so that it's possible for Sonic to grab the fire flower, change the textures on the ? block so that it reverts to "empty block" textures after you strike it, add some sector-based scenery, make the textures a little more varied (they're kinda bland even for a Mario level), get rid of Bowser (he doesn't work well at all in 3D mode), and redo the sections which still have graphical glitches. Given how short the level is, I bet I could have done all that in about an hour.

Now, as far as a cat's level is concerned, add a MAINCFG lump so that the level is actually playable, and then we can talk about how to improve the level.

Like I said, I'm using the OLDC level-grading standard, so please don't be surprised or offended at my low ratings. I'm really not going to sugar-coat this stuff...I didn't expect anything more out of this competition, but I'm not going to pretend that I saw anything more or less than I did.

I might add, mamaluigi, that you've got a solid lead in this contest so far, so I wouldn't complain too much.

mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 am

fawfulfan wrote:Constructive criticism isn't about minimizing how bad something is, mamaluigi. It's about telling it like it is, but then telling you how you can make it better.

Would you prefer it if I devoted more space to how it could be better? All right then. Give all of your coins the Deaf flag, make your enemy placement a bit better and more varied, make the tunnel section wider, make it so that it's possible for Sonic to grab the fire flower, change the textures on the ? block so that it reverts to "empty block" textures after you strike it, add some sector-based scenery, make the textures a little more varied (they're kinda bland even for a Mario level), get rid of Bowser (he doesn't work well at all in 3D mode), and redo the sections which still have graphical glitches. Given how short the level is, I bet I could have done all that in about an hour.

Now, as far as a cat's level is concerned, add a MAINCFG lump so that the level is actually playable, and then we can talk about how to improve the level.

Like I said, I'm using the OLDC level-grading standard, so please don't be surprised or offended at my low ratings. I'm really not going to sugar-coat this stuff...I didn't expect anything more out of this competition, but I'm not going to pretend that I saw anything more or less than I did.

I might add, mamaluigi, that you've got a solid lead in this contest so far, so I wouldn't complain too much.
    Thanks, I learnt alot from this post! (XD) Too bad there's no more time to fix the bugs, but I'll do when I make another map!
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:03 am

OK I have the fixed version. It was (on mine) at level 1. But for some reason it was 2d. I must have added the game type numbers wrong. Well download below.

http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/959scr_crazymario.wad
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 pm

Okay, I've updated my review of your level.

a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:26 pm

mamaluigi I think there is still time. Don't give up. Who is winning?
    mamaluigi
    Frequent User
    Frequent User

Post by mamaluigi on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:11 am

a cat wrote:mamaluigi I think there is still time. Don't give up. Who is winning?
    It's so obvious... You!
    I had only these problems with the level:
    I can't get the items from the ? Blocks, since they are too high for Sonic, and you should've use control sectors for them, so they give the effect of the item getting out of the block! =(
    Also, I'm sad that you didn't place rings,starpost(s) to your level, random scenery, and after getting out of the pipe, the lava on the other side doesn't hurt me!
    HOWEVER, the pros are:
    It's a good thing that it replaced Greenflower Zone 1, because it gives players at least a little more challange!
    The Goomba army at the end made me VERY happy! Also, even dodging the traps was fun!

Overall:6/10 (ROFL, mine is only 1/10, that's why you're going to be the winner here.)
    You should fix these bugs for climbing to 10/10! I can't wait to see more maps from you, A Cat! =)
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 am

Here are the current vote totals. "-" means abstained vote, "X" means 10/10:

Crazy Mario: - 2 6 (Average: 4.000)
    Mario Koopa Blast Act 4: 1 5 - (Average: 3.000)

Votes close tomorrow morning.

a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:58 pm

I will fix those bugs and release it later on. I've got alot of homework tonight.
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:23 pm

Okay, no more updates. The levels will remain as is...sorry. Votes close tomorrow anyway.

a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Post by a cat on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Anyone else going to VOTE?
    EDIT: Is it over?
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 am

Yep, it's over. And you won.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:17 am