SRB2 Shelter

Welcome to SRB2 Shelter!

SRB2 Tortured Planet v8.4

Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 823
    Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

SRB2 Tortured Planet v8.4

Post by Fawfulfan on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:04 pm

I owe you guys a big-time apology. This update has actually been finished for several days, but I've been so busy that I just let it sit in my SRB2 folder. Oh well, I've finally overcome my laziness and uploaded it for you all. It's nothing special, but it does solve some issues in the old version.

"changelog":
    Beta 1: The first demo of this mod. Just included Sunshine Atoll Zone and all the boss battles.

Beta 2: Eruption Conduit Zone and Drowned Downtown Zone have been added, plus a lot of renovations to most of the levels already in the pack!

Beta 3: Snowcap Nimbus Zone and Gritty Columns Zone have been added, plus some more renovations to existing levels. Notably, a new path has been created in SAZ1!

Final Demo: Fume Shaft Zone and Liftoff Gantry Zone have been added. Several of the boss battles have been improved, some drastically overhauled. And a few levels have been tweaked a bit.

Version 1.0: Now we're getting somewhere! Here's a list of the most significant new features:

-Complete Single Player Campaign. The levels are still in a pretty crude shape right now, and they will be improved later, but they're all there!

-Full Coop Support, and Coop-friendly alternate routes in some levels.

-Gamedata and saving capabilities.

-Emblem Hunt! There are 54 emblems in Tortured Planet right now (the Statistics page in the game says 56, but it's counting the secret emblems, which I have not added). One for each player in each of the first two acts of every zone, just like in the official level set. Be aware that the emblem locations are not necessarily permanent--some of the emblems have a somewhat crude placement, especially the ones for Knuckles. Later versions might have emblems which are hidden more creatively.

-A special intro cutscene, replacing the official intro, which explains the back story of Tortured Planet (I already explain it in this topic, but it's nice to have a reference in the mod itself).

-SIGNIFICANT changes to Sunshine Atoll Zone Acts 1 and 2. I'm not telling you what they are; you have to play to find out. However, you'll see many of them from the moment you load up the level.

-General bugfixing throughout the game.

Version 1.1: A hasty bugfix for v1.0.

Version 1.2: A hasty bugfix for v1.1.

Version 2.0: The Match levels have been made, and a few more minor graphical and gameplay bugs have been fixed.

Version 3.0: With the exception of Star Showdown Zone, literally every single map in the entire game has been overhauled at least somewhat (it's not apparent in some of the boss battles, but yes, I did make at least some really minor changes to all of them, too!) The Match levels, though still hardly top-notch material, have had many of their most glaring flaws corrected. And as for the Single Player levels, many of them have been totally transformed. You'll see more texture variation, more path splits, more new gimmicks, new areas, more secrets, and a general reduction in bugs. In addition, I followed a lot of the advice that has been given to me on improving the levels, so you'll see some of your wishes come true!

There is going to be a v4.0, but this should certainly tide you over until then.

Version 3.1: WHOOPS! V3.0 had a couple of problematic bugs...they've been fixed now.

Version 4.0: This update is pretty much as big as 3.0 was. Practically every level has been updated in some way, and many of them have significant new areas, gimmicks, and glitch removal. Also, new cutscenes have been added for the beginning of each zone!

Version 4.1: Bugfix.

Version 5.0: The most massive update yet. Most levels have been improved, some enormously expanded. ECZ1 was scrapped and remade entirely. Sunshine Atoll, Fume Shaft, Liftoff Gantry, and Spacewalk all have lots of new custom textures, and Gritty Columns now takes full advantage of the DSZ set. The boss battles have been revamped, the biggest changes occurring in Fume Shaft 3 and Star Showdown. There are loads more changes that you should also be on the lookout for!

Version 5.1: Critical bugfix (a pattern emerges).

Version 5.2: Son of critical bugfix.

Version 5.3: Good grief, another bugfix!

Version 6.0: This update puts 5.0 to shame. It features level improvements just as expansive, plus new secrets and unlockables. There is now a purpose to collecting the emblems and the Chaos Emeralds. Music has been changed in places, too. The levels themselves feature mostly visual improvements, but there are also some new or modified gimmicks and challenges to watch out for, as well as one or two new path splits.

Version 6.1: The mandatory hasty bugfix. This contains a lot of little fixes, instead of just the usual one or two.

Version 6.2: Actually, this one's got a little more than just bugfixes. It also features some minor graphical improvements to GCZ, and Weightless Whaling Zone has been optimized somewhat.

Version 6.3: All previous updates have either been large-scale transformations or tiny bugfixes. This is the first one to be somewhere in between. Version 6.3 features a whole slew of bugfixes, plus substantial changes to the first three zones!

Version 6.4: A couple of bugfixes, improvements to SAZ1 and ECZ, and optimization.

Version 6.4.1: Infinitesimal tweaking of SAZ.

Version 7.0: Sorry, but here's where the trend stops. v7.0 is nowhere near as expansive an improvement as v6.0. But there's still a fair amount of new stuff. The biggest change is the addition of the Tortured Archives, an unlockable blast-from-the-past that will allow you to play Tortured Planet as it was in Version 1.2, pretty much the first stable and complete version of the pack. Of course, v7.0 levels beat the hell out of v1.2 levels, but perhaps a playthrough of the pack at its worst will help you appreciate how far Tortured Planet has come. Besides Tortured Archives, you'll also find an even better Sunshine Atoll Zone, plus scattered bugfixes.

Version 7.0.1: Correction to the MAINCFG lump.

Version 7.1: Minor bugfixes, improvements, and optimization of ECZ2, SNZ1, and GCZ1.

Version 8.0: Significant improvement of ECZ, DDZ, and SNZ, moderate improvement of GCZ and LGZ, and small adjustments to SAZ, FSZ, and SWZ.

Version 8.1: FSZ2 was previously riddled with bugs. Well, not anymore!

Version 8.1.1: Hasty tweak of DDZ2.

Version 8.2: A bunch of bugfixes and optimization.

Version 8.3: Improvement to FSZ2, slight changes to ECZ1, and some assorted bugfixes.

Version 8.4: More bugfixes for FSZ2.

The Story:

After Sonic and company beat Dr. Eggman in Final Fight Zone, the evil scientist fled to another planet, taking the few functional robots he had left with him. Sonic and his friends felt they needed a good, long vacation, and went to Sunshine Atoll Zone for a few months of sun and surf.

But a few weeks into their vacation, EGGMAN ATTACKED AGAIN!

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles managed to escape to the other side of the island unharmed, but they were seriously confused. How had Eggman managed to return so quickly?

After spying on some robots, Sonic discovered the answer: the planet Eggman had fled to was rich in natural resources--and was home to a peaceable but strong alien race which Eggman had enslaved to reconstruct his evil schemes.

Well, the three of them had to do something. This alien planet desperately needed their help--and what was more, now that Dr. Eggman was powerful again, he was also taking over Mobius! Will Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles EVER get to finish their vacation?

Downloads:

MIRROR 1 (RAR): http://www.mediafire.com/?7jnh4fnyvffnhjl
    MIRROR 2 (ZIP): http://www.mediafire.com/?91b7kdsbb2pi9x9

Keep an eye out for the next version!

Now, it's your turn. Got any suggestions? Complaints or compliments? I'd love to hear them, because I want this mod to be as good as possible.

Discuss.

Last edited by Fawfulfan on Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:14 pm; edited 18 times in total

Kyasarin
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 77

Re: SRB2 Tortured Planet v8.4

Post by Kyasarin on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 am

The levels were all painfully linear and cramped, with little detail or texture variation. I managed to get confused even though the levels all have only one direction.

The first Zone was way too basic and the waterslide was a stupid gimmick as it sends you back to the start, annoyed. The Electric Shield was useless and the Emerald Token was way too easy to find.
    The fire factory level was a typical factory, but very dull. There wasn't anything interesting and there's no gimmicks besides generic conveyor belts with lasers and crushers, which isn't fun.
    The city Zone was a mess. It's just Thokking in dark water where you can't even see, and there's mines everywhere, and it's maze-like.
    The boss fights were all extremely dull and unfun, as usual. You didn't do anything to make them interesting or vaguely difficult.

I honestly can't find myself replaying these levels, as I had to force myself to get through them. The bonuses are all way too easy to find and there isn't enough, and there's the extreme linearity.

2/10
    blahblahbal
    Gold User

Posts Posts : 312

Post by blahblahbal on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 am

Really, Kyasarin? Do you have to point out the flaws in such a demeaning way? I'll admit that there are some flaws, such as the waterslide thing(there's not much point to it, but it adds a nice touch to the level). I really like this level pack, it's obvious you've spent a lot of time on it. However, there is one thing: Drowned Downtown is a little dark; raise the brightness.

All in all, 8/10.
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Location : Hmmm, I tend to use the creamier, noncomedogenic kinds, like...oh, wait, loCAtion?

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Wow...I've got a review that's brutally honest, and one that excessively positive.

Blahblahbal, I'm flattered that you would defend me so strongly, but 8 out of 10? That's a little unrealistic at the moment. I guess you've factored in that this mod is at a very early stage.

Kyasarin, I never really expected the mod to be good at this stage of creation. Don't think I'm done with any of those levels; I'm planning to go back later and, among other things, add alternate paths, make the levels longer, fix glitches, make the correct paths more clear, and create more secrets. I really only want to get basic models of all the levels established before I start getting into making the levels more enjoyable. For instance, although it's pointless at the moment, the waterslide in SAZ1 will lead you to Sonic's emblem in the final version of the mod.

blahblahbal
    Gold User

Post by blahblahbal on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 pm

Yes, I have factored that in. Anyway, I can't seem to get that loop to work... even when I copy it right from DDZ2...
    Do I have to change the position of the zoom tube starts and waypoints?
    Kyasarin
    Gold User

Post by Kyasarin on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:43 pm

An 8/10? Seriously?
    Regardless of whether or not you actually liked the levels (somehow), they have many things that are simply bad design: excessive darkness, confusion, crampedness, too many Rings, a lack of gimmicks, and a lack of scenery.
    Honestly, you guys can love anything, can't you?

Also, what makes Gold Users special? What's that rank given for?
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:27 pm

Gold Users are people who contribute frequently and intelligently to the SRB2 Shelter. There are no privileges associated with the title, but you get bragging rights, and you're also more likely to be in line for a promotion to Moderator or Administrator.

You know what, Kyasarin? Though some people on the site seem to have been offended by your posts, many of the things you have to say are very truthful and intelligent. I think you've earned the title of Gold User.
    blahblahbal wrote:Anyway, I can't seem to get that loop to work... even when I copy it right from DDZ2...
    Do I have to change the position of the zoom tube starts and waypoints?
    Did you remember to also copy the Zoom Tube Parameters control sector?

blahblahbal
    Gold User

Post by blahblahbal on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:00 pm

*facepalm* Oops. Well, that explains it.
    a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:46 pm

The 1st zone confuses me. I do not know where to go. I go in circles. Please make it easier. I liked the rest of the mod.
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:51 pm

New Beta!

What do you think?

Kyasarin
    Gold User

Post by Kyasarin on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 pm

The new levels felt as dull and repetitive and boring as the old ones.

The winter Zone confused me because of the mixing of themes; I couldn't understand if it's a mountain, a canyon, or a factory.
    There's many instances where there's the same texture on the floors and walls in the desert Zone, which looks really ugly. The quicksand pits should be replaced with pits as there's just no challenge when you can make your way back up. The rising sand room can be done by simply button mashing. The gimmicks were all very basic timing challenges, which were way too easy. The scenery was unimpressive and repetitive.

It's not good when I have to force myself to play only four short levels.

SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Posts Posts : 31

Post by SpiritCrusher on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Kyasarin wrote:It's not good when I have to force myself to play only four short levels.
    Short? You call these short?

Anyway, it sort of annoys me that you always point out only the flaws. To be honest, I've never seen you say anything good about any level, not even your own ones. Yes, this mod does have a lot of flaws, but from what you've written you enjoyed absolutely nothing about it. See, it sounds hypocritical if you complain that the SRB2 community likes everything (which, unfortunately, is true) when you decide to hate everything in return.

In-depth review for this coming soon, just as I promised on the MB.
    Kyasarin
    Gold User

Post by Kyasarin on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, I didn't give much praise because there simply wasn't much that I felt this had going for it.
    Fawfulfan, you should focus on a bigger variety of gimmicks. A very large majority of the gimmicks here involve crushers, and we all know that they get old fast.

SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 am

Kyasarin wrote:Well, I didn't give much praise because there simply wasn't much that I felt this had going for it.
    Now that's an understatement. You didn't say anything positive at all. And it's not like there wasn't anything positive about this level pack.

Kyasarin wrote:Fawfulfan, you should focus on a bigger variety of gimmicks. A very large majority of the gimmicks here involve crushers, and we all know that they get old fast.
    Well, there's quicksand, polyobjects (but they're largely useless), rock spawners and lots of other gimmicks. There might have been rather many crushers, but there weren't so many that I got bored either. Also, it's not like he used the same crushers over and over again, he implemented them in several different ways.

SpiritCrusher
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by SpiritCrusher on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:32 am

Looong post, part 1: Snowcap Nimbus Zone (Also, double post...)

SNZ1:

• The first thing I noticed were those Christmas textures. Ugh. They're simply, GFZROCK and THZROCK in blue, and they look extremely plain. We have a nice amount of good-looking new ice-themed textures, so I'd suggest using them more. The next thing noticed was that the deep snow actually slows you down. That's a nice idea, as it actually affects how the player has to move.
    • Those snowflake/cloud/whatever-shaped platforms were severely overused. I wouldn't mind that if they actually contained a gimmick of some sort, like making them bouncy, but they're just ordinary platforms. You should either use another gimmick for the outdoor sections or make these platforms do something.
    • I also don't know how clever it is to use quicksand-like oil when your next zone already contains quicksand. And why do those oil-falls hurt me? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    • Enemy choices are fitting, and the enemies are mostly well-placed. One notable exception is the use of Jetty-syn Bombers in the room where you bounce off several springs on wooden platforms. They tend to be in the player's way when bouncing off the springs. The way the last spring takes you directly onto a rope pulley is quite clever though.
    • Immediately after that, there is a very easy-to-notice hidden passage with an impossible-to-get emerald token. The corridor itself is also too narrow.
    • I really like how you modified that gimmick from DSZ with the continuously falling platforms. The way you used it makes it actually not frustrating and useless. You should make the platforms intangible from below, however. Otherwise, the player can be trapped easily. The Camera Modifications are extremely annoying here, as they constantly mess up my camera. You have that problem at many spots throughout your mod, and I commented on them earlier.
    • That glassy looking room where the paths split (that one with the arrows) blinds my eyes. Also, the right path here is much longer than the left one. I really like that Star Post room that looks like a mirror, though.
    • Multiple paths seem to be a problem in general. First of all, you don't have enough of them. You said you'll fix that later on, so that's OK. But the ones you currently have are largely useless. They're just very short splits with nothing but straight running for 5 seconds before they rejoin. If you want some real replay value, remove those and add long alternate paths with alternate gimmicks.
    • The ending is somewhat maze-like. It's pointless and annoying, and you'll eventually end up at the End Level Sign anyway, so it's probably best to remove it.

SNZ2:

• Oil death pits? I don't know. The first level introduced the oil to me as being quicksand, and now it kills me all of a sudden. Not to mention it looks ugly. I'd suggest making that a normal death pit with F_SKY1 as texture.
    • The beginning can be easily skipped by holding the back button and then pressing forward. The polyobjects at said beginning are quite fun, and the oil barrels add an unique touch to the scenery.
    • At one point, you have a oil-fall at the wall that extends to the floor to form a sort of pusher. You could use that as a gimmick if you make it a bit faster and make it push you into a death pit or something.
    • The room where you walk on a transparent floor that breaks away into an oil-quicksand room doesn't really work. You can't see where you jump to, so you will eventually land in the oil. It's easy to get out, but I still have the feeling that I should have more control over the player in that room.
    • Much of what I said for Act 1 applies here as well, and I noted here in particular that the outdoor section are quite dull in terms of scenery. They're basically huge empty room with large chunks of boring wall textures.
      Oh, and the ending is cool, by the way.

SNZ3:
    Nothing wrong here. It's not terribly original, but it works. I like how the bouncy walls force me to take it slow.

Gritty Columns Zone will follow shortly.
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:58 am

New version available!

What do you think?

a cat
    Very Frequent User
    Very Frequent User

Posts Posts : 290

Post by a cat on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:14 am

I'm trying now. expext review soon.
    L.T.B
    User
    User

Posts Posts : 52

Post by L.T.B on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:35 pm

cool wad its one of my favorites
    Giga
    New User
    New User

Posts Posts : 24

Post by Giga on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

I think the ice boss arena shouldn't have pillars or the middle ground being unfrozen. It's a lot of fun to just go wild and bounce off the walls, trying to hit Eggman that way.
    L.T.B
    User
    User

Post by L.T.B on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:32 am

a cat wrote:The 1st zone confuses me. I do not know where to go. I go in circles. Please make it easier. I liked the rest of the mod.

Oh c'mon its a lot easy you only have to explore it ok?
    L.T.B
    User
    User

Post by L.T.B on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:09 pm

[img][/img]i cant get this emblem
    help me!!!
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:27 am

What do you mean you can't get it? Just steer into it.

L.T.B
    User
    User

Post by L.T.B on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:27 pm

fawfulfan wrote:What do you mean you can't get it? Just steer into it.

i mean i cant get it even when i steer in it is crazy but its real Twisted Evil
    Fawfulfan
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Fawfulfan on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:20 am

You mean you are passing through the emblem, and you aren't collecting it?

L.T.B
    User
    User

Post by L.T.B on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:53 pm

yes Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:23 am